Friday 30 October 2015

Statement of Intent

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Fairgrounds have been a travelling display of current artistic trends for hundreds of years. In my project I want to study the evolution of art and aesthetics within the fair along with those who replicate the beauty of fairground artwork through paintings of rides and their transport. I will be focusing heavily on the early Victorian rides and shows with their elegant carved facades ,majestic sign written art and complex scroll work.  The 50’s and 60’s included the invention of faster more thrilling rides brought about more flowing bold artwork, they were created through airbrushing and reflected modern day interests such as pop stars, fast cars and other influences. I also want to study art work with fairgrounds as there subject matter producing the same grand artwork within the parameters of a painting and even looking into those who create miniature scale versions of some rides.
I am fascinated by the intricacies of design, the way these works are created to lure in the people around them and the way they are so often depicted and narrated about in storytelling due to their fascinating movements, sound and light. It is this that I intend to portray in my works.
One of the first artists I will explore is Joby Carter, a fairground sign writer. I am researching this artist as sign writing is at the very heart of all fairground art. The words that sign writing displays provide all-important information to members of the public while keeping the rides that they adorn enchanting pieces of art. Joby Carters Victorian style may influence my work to look very elegant and formal as Victorian sign writing appears.
To start the project off I intend to photograph traditional fairground rides such as Gallopers and Steam Yachts paying particular attention to the art work and sign writing on them. With the photographs I will attempt to replicate the complex fonts of the sign writing and delicate scroll work that feature heavily on the rides.
My aim is to attempt to make more people appreciate fairground art as a true art form rather than just something that is used on a commercial basis. I prefer artwork that is technically challenging hence my choice in studying fairground art work. The artwork should always reflect the artist’s passion which I think sign writing in particular shows. The main thing I want to achieve in this topic is that the artwork I produce shows the same level of passion as the pieces I am studying do.

No comments:

Post a Comment